The REDDCopernicus project has been launched in early 2019 under the EU Horizon 2020 (H2020)
work program for ‘Research and Innovation (Topic: ‘Copernicus evolution – Mission exploitation concepts’
LC-SPACE-02-EO-2018), aiming at the ‘Preparation of an European Capacity for Improving Forest Monitoring’.
The project has a duration of three years and is implemented by a consortium of five European partners,
with JRC as one of the consortium members.
REDDCopernicus will focus on the REDD+ policy process and the proposal for the foundations of a
European capacity for an operational Copernicus REDD+ Forest Monitoring Programme. This will require the
co-ordination and consolidation of a European Capacity for EO based Forest Monitoring (EO FM) with relevant
stakeholders, International Agencies, Research Community and Private Sector.
- Review and synthesis of key policy drivers and existing work/capacities in Europe related to operational and pre-operational EO FM, including also key institutional arrangements pertinent for the implementation of a Copernicus REDD+ and Forest Monitoring Service.
- Coordination of results and experiences from existing REDD+ and Copernicus programmes for the identification of infrastructural and research gaps for EO FM on different scales (global to local) resulting in the definition of future Research and Development (R&D) Programmes addressing key gaps and priorities and ensuring complementarity and sustainability of existing programmes.
- Definition of an end-to-end operational system for Core and Downstream REDD+ Services which includes organisational and technical specifications; an important component will be products and services that can be processed and/or made available via the Copernicus Data and Information Access Services (C-DIAS) Platform.
- Raising awareness and showcasing the European capacities in EO FM as well as related user uptake in countries via 2-3 Learning Exercise/Studies in developing countries in different geographical regions.
- Dissemination, communication and exploitation of project results to a wide stakeholder audience to ensure that the overall impact and uptake of the project is optimised.
- Recommendation of a framework for a Copernicus REDD+ Service/programme to establish long-term European capacity and leadership in this domain.
- GAF AG / Germany, Project Coordination
- WU (Wageningen University) / Netherlands
- EC-JRC (Joint Research Centre) / Italy
- SIRS (Systemes d'Information a Reference Spatiale) / France
- VTT (Teknologian tutkimuskeskus VTT Oy) / Finland
REDDCopernicus website: https://www.reddcopernicus.info/